1. Rejection, Heartache, and a Faithful God – Please join us in praying for Lysa TerKeurst and her family through this devastating trial she’s facing. My heart is breaking for her.
It’s no secret that I (Lisa) am a huge fan of Harry Potter (just check out the tattoo on my wrist), and I know that Cara is a big fan, as well. Besides the fact that the books are masterfully-crafted literature, they contain valuable messages about morality and the nature of good and evil, and they’re riddled with Christian symbolism. Here are a few of my favorite articles explaining the value of these books.
While there are plenty of things I dislike about the trend of ‘minimalism’ right now, there are an equal number of things I do like about it (more on that another day). I’ve spent a lot of time over the last year purging and minimizing our stuff in The Krampy Shanty, and I’ve seen some great results from all my hard work! Here are a few articles that might be of interest to you on the subject.
1. Ask Pastor John – You might have heard of the podcast “Ask Pastor John” by Desiring God. People submit questions for John Piper to answer. Well, this time they brought in an expert and asked how to survive a zombie apocalypse. You’re welcome.
1. Bible Reading is An Art – This video is where I’m at right now. You probably saw the Bible reading plan I (Cara) shared on May 1st on the blog. I’ve been so eager lately to read the Bible every single chance I get. This has been a hard season of life for me, and I felt an urging to get in God’s Word more. It has impacted my heart in many, many ways – particularly in my parenting (more on that another day!). But I just wanted to share this video and encourage you to carve out the time to just get in the word every day.
1. Two Mother’s Day Poems from Pastor John – Two poems to celebrate Mother’s Day written by John Piper…. from 1995. Did the internet even exist back then? Don’t ask Lisa because she was only 4 years old so she wouldn’t know.
Remembering Eva Grace
Royce & Keri Young go to my (Lisa’s) church. We don’t know them too well, but Keri & I had almost the same due date, and we had some similar pregnancy issues because she was retaining enough fluid to look like she was carrying twins. We bonded over swollen ankles & nonstress tests. In the short time I’ve known her, it’s clear that Keri is a sweet person and full of joy, even in these past months of pain and heartbreak.
Anyone else get sad every time one of your Bibles is worn out and needs replaced? All my notes and underlines, with dates jotted all throughout the margins. What everyone assumes are coffee stains, but are really the pigment from flowers I pressed from my grandfather’s funeral. 4 leaf clovers hidden here and there from days when I’ve read outside. All special memories and reminders of how God used specific passages to comfort, encourage, and spur me on.
1. Parenting, Require Obedience of Your Children – John Piper shares 9 observations in requiring obedience of our children. “Parents who do not teach their children to obey prepare them for a life out of step with God’s Word.”
1. What Not to Ask Someone Suffering – Written by someone who knows what it means to suffer, this article is very helpful in knowing how best to reach out to those around us who are working through a trial or loss.