It’s time for another weekly roundup!
Caring for Orphans
1. Foster Children Need the Church – This article & video by The Gospel Coalition is something that every Christian needs to hear. God calls us to lay down our lives for orphans, and the church in America is failing these children. Both of our families hope to get involved with foster care sometime soon, and we pray that you’ll look into it, too!
2. Lumos – Lumos is a non-proft organization started by JK Rowling with the goal of shutting down orphanages around the globe and reuniting children with their families, or getting them into foster homes. The statistics are astounding – 80% of children in orphanages worldwide have families, but are institutionalized due to poverty, disabilities, etc. Lumos works with governments and communities to redirect orphan funds towards setting up systems that help children stay with their families.
Grab the Popcorn
3. Sully – The story of US Airways Flight 1549 having to make an emergency water landing on the Hudson River on January 15, 2009. An incredible true story based on the autobiography Highest Duty by Chesley Sullenberger, the captain.
4. La la Land – A romantic musical comedy-drama from the writer and director of Whiplash, Damien Chazelle. The story follows the lives of aspiring musician (Ryan Gosling) and aspiring actress (Emma Stone) and is set in Los Angeles. We loved it so much, we already purchased the soundtrack!
5. Four Reasons to Slow Down – An article by Jon Bloom from desiringGod.org. Jon talks about making fluid goals and remembering to keep in mind the purpose they serve. He says “The point of all our reading, praying, worshiping, small-group participation — everything — is not that we merely learn about the craft, but that we actually learn the craft of Christ, so to speak; that we truly learn to ‘walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him: bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God’ (Colossians 1:10)”