I’m totally going to lose the church chili cook-off this Fall now that I’m writing such a prideful blog post, but it’s time for the world to know the secret to success…. at a Southern Baptist church chili cook-off at least. But just remember, pride before the fall.
My recipe was also featured on All She Cooks a few years back, here’s that link if you’re interested!
*4 cups of chicken broth may be substituted for the 4 cups of water and tablespoon of consommé.
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon consommé
- 4 4 oz cans green chilies, chopped
- 4 15.8 oz cans great northern white beans, drained & rinsed
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Sour cream (optional for garnishing)
- Shredded pepper jack cheese (optional for garnishing)
- Boil chicken and chop into chunks.
- Sauté onions in oil until tender, add garlic and sauté until you begin to smell it (about 30 seconds).
- Combine all ingredients except sour cream and heavy whipping cream in a large pot.
- Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce to simmer. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Mix in sour cream and heavy whipping cream.
- (Optional) Garnish with shredded pepper jack cheese and a dollop of sour cream.